
"Whats your home town?"
"Delhi... Nagpur... er.. actually neither now... Mumbai u can say, probably...."
"huh?!...u dont know where u are from? But arent you a punjabi?"
"Partly... u can say... i grew up in parts of North India... My Dad was in the army... "
"Oh... but where are you from?"
"Chuck it, I dont know myself... "
Questioning party looks away amused and surprised. ("wht sorta person doesnt know where they are from??")
Well, I don't.
I'm acutely envious of people who can name their heritage in one second. Who can pin-point where they grew up. Who do not yearn for the peace of Punjab in the madness of mumbai.. or for the madness of mumbai in the quiet idyllic summer afternoons of Nagpur. Who have a hundred ppl they know from kindergarten who carried on with them till graduation. And have a whole bank of memories with the same people!
Its not like I dont like the semi-nomadic style my life has adopted earlier... or tht i resent all the shifting and packing... I love all of that as well.
I just also want a place I belong to.
"Delhi... Nagpur... er.. actually neither now... Mumbai u can say, probably...."
"huh?!...u dont know where u are from? But arent you a punjabi?"
"Partly... u can say... i grew up in parts of North India... My Dad was in the army... "
"Oh... but where are you from?"
"Chuck it, I dont know myself... "
Questioning party looks away amused and surprised. ("wht sorta person doesnt know where they are from??")
Well, I don't.
I'm acutely envious of people who can name their heritage in one second. Who can pin-point where they grew up. Who do not yearn for the peace of Punjab in the madness of mumbai.. or for the madness of mumbai in the quiet idyllic summer afternoons of Nagpur. Who have a hundred ppl they know from kindergarten who carried on with them till graduation. And have a whole bank of memories with the same people!
Its not like I dont like the semi-nomadic style my life has adopted earlier... or tht i resent all the shifting and packing... I love all of that as well.
I just also want a place I belong to.
babe its sumtimes reali boring to jus give the name of a place when ppl ask u where ur from...think of it...u hav such a "diverse" belonging...so well it makes u different in ur own way no?but i knw sumhw u luv it dat way...i guess..
ReplyDeletebabe its sumtimes reali boring to jus give the name of a place when ppl ask u where ur from...think of it...u hav such a "diverse" belonging...so well it makes u different in ur own way no?but i knw sumhw u luv it dat way...i guess..
ReplyDelete