You know, I'm a rather passive person I'd say... I rarely get kicked about anything social and even when I am, its a chance possibility that I'm going to DO anything about it. Im just very caught up in my own life. Infact, much to chagrin of a close friend, when I said I wasn't SHIT excited about India winning a gold at the olympics, I was told I'm not patriotic.
Now, dont get me wrong. I'm an army daughter. I will always be one. When I go to see a movie and I hear the National Anthem, I give it the "civilian salute". Till I was about three, I had seen more tanks than cars. AND I was more excited that India would import Airconditioned Tanks than I was about us buying a airconditioned car. And I STILL see the Republic Day parade with much gusto, and feel sentimental about MY country, and so, unpatriaotic, I am NOT.
So it really pains me, when learned and educated leaders divide up the people of our country on the basis of LANGUAGE. I mean isnt it enough that a country as vast as ours, having to deal with communal riots and problems in almost every state, has to be divided on regional basis as well? I really think, that if that was the case, and only marathi should be spoken in Mumbai, then why the gujurathi hoardings? Infact I find as an erstwhile student of a south mumbai school that it is more important to learn gujurathi to survive in the city. I am now currently interning with a chartered accountancy firm and I see that almost all large stand alone businesses are owned and manned by Gujurathis in Mumbai. Why, my college has a Gujurathi division too.
So, I would like to ask the learned politicians (who, btw do not even form the opposition in the state), why single out north indians? If only marathi people can live and reside in Mumbai, Id like to see then uprooting the gujurathi businesses and households. Can such a thing be imagined? I hope not.
We live in a democratic country, and HINDI is our national language. I dont think anyone can put a gun to my head and tell me speak in marathi, if i speak in Hindi.
And lastly, dear learned politician , maybe when you were in the sixth grade, there was a subject that was taught, called CIVICS and I distinctly remember having being taught a rather essential part about out constitution in that... ie Fundamental Rights... heard of those?
Really, Mr Politician, as if bombs every two days weren't enough worry for Indians that you should now demand SUCH irrational things!
(The author that is ME, would like to mention that I am an marathi, and honestly, I dont see quite the fuss about it! To me, I'm an Indian before anything.... but hey, maybe thats not the way YOU think! )
No comments:
Post a Comment