
Have you ever noticed the gleam of a wet road under yellow streetlamps? It almost looks like a road made out of dirty gold, the way it gleams, so dully. Footsteps make no sound and even if they would, there aren't any footsteps that accompany mine. I walk alone (pretty much like Greenday, but without the aa-aa, aa-aa's!) I love the road when its like this, the rain has stopped, but some stray drops that the leaves overhead collected fall on my hair, glinting like tiny sequins I might have forgotten to shake away.
If it should start to pour now, I would like to get drenched in the cold rain. I would love to let my cotton clothes soak and cling to my skin. The water gets in my eyes, I have to close them and wipe the water away from my eyelids. The water enters my mouth, my face is wet, and I do little to stop that. My hair is heavy with the rainwater.... it will be frizzy when it dries. There are puddles and pools, a few more hours of uninterrupted rains, and it will 'flood'... When the rain stops, it would have washed up silt, dirt and grime up on this very road.
There are many reasons for which people hate the rains. And I have only one true reason to love them so much. I'm a dreamer and an incurable romantic, and walks in the rains, are right on top of my list!
If it should start to pour now, I would like to get drenched in the cold rain. I would love to let my cotton clothes soak and cling to my skin. The water gets in my eyes, I have to close them and wipe the water away from my eyelids. The water enters my mouth, my face is wet, and I do little to stop that. My hair is heavy with the rainwater.... it will be frizzy when it dries. There are puddles and pools, a few more hours of uninterrupted rains, and it will 'flood'... When the rain stops, it would have washed up silt, dirt and grime up on this very road.
There are many reasons for which people hate the rains. And I have only one true reason to love them so much. I'm a dreamer and an incurable romantic, and walks in the rains, are right on top of my list!
(PS..the picture that accompanies this post is of course, part of my super modest photography, taken in a puddle in Coimbatore! )
http://pinakizzz.blogspot.com/2008/06/it-rained-that-day.html
ReplyDelete1st yr, B.Sc. Econ. - first shower in Calcutta, 1998. And will you still wonder why I still rummage your blog? Ha ha!
http://pinakizzz.blogspot.com/2008/06/it-rained-that-day.html
ReplyDelete1st yr, B.Sc. Econ. - first shower in Calcutta, 1998. And will you still wonder why I still rummage your blog? Ha ha!
Cold, bedraggled and sticky. There's a reason I can't swim. And a reason I prefer hot water baths even midsummer.
ReplyDeleteBut sometimes, very, very rarely, a thorough soaking isn't so bad I suppose.
(PS: How can you stand wet feet? Refer Photograph.) :)
PPS: If isn't too much to ask for, could you please turn off word verification for comments. It is a tad irritating to say the least.
Cold, bedraggled and sticky. There's a reason I can't swim. And a reason I prefer hot water baths even midsummer.
ReplyDeleteBut sometimes, very, very rarely, a thorough soaking isn't so bad I suppose.
(PS: How can you stand wet feet? Refer Photograph.) :)
PPS: If isn't too much to ask for, could you please turn off word verification for comments. It is a tad irritating to say the least.
heheheh... U dont look much like a rain person to me!
ReplyDeleteand (sometimes) a THOROUGH soaking is just pure FUN!!
the key to enjoying wet feet is RUBBER shoes!
heheheh... U dont look much like a rain person to me!
ReplyDeleteand (sometimes) a THOROUGH soaking is just pure FUN!!
the key to enjoying wet feet is RUBBER shoes!
Aye. I'll take your advice the next time it happens to rain. How do rain people look though? Other than soaked and strangely happy, that is.
ReplyDeleteAny work on that word-verification bug? I'd rather not be typing an extra ddrkkra or gknaso at the end of each comment. :D
Aye. I'll take your advice the next time it happens to rain. How do rain people look though? Other than soaked and strangely happy, that is.
ReplyDeleteAny work on that word-verification bug? I'd rather not be typing an extra ddrkkra or gknaso at the end of each comment. :D
rubber shoes!
ReplyDeleteah, yes! squeaky clean rubber shoes,
wonder what mischiefs they've been upto.
squeaky clean rubber soles in puddles,
wonder what the besotted devil might do!
:D
rubber shoes!
ReplyDeleteah, yes! squeaky clean rubber shoes,
wonder what mischiefs they've been upto.
squeaky clean rubber soles in puddles,
wonder what the besotted devil might do!
:D
Bombay rains!! Nothing like sipping coffee while watching at the hustle bustle from a silent ol' window while it pours! It has sort of a calming effect on the way things work, the air is colder and though people say it is gloomy when it rains, one some how prefers that! :)
ReplyDeleteBombay rains!! Nothing like sipping coffee while watching at the hustle bustle from a silent ol' window while it pours! It has sort of a calming effect on the way things work, the air is colder and though people say it is gloomy when it rains, one some how prefers that! :)
ReplyDeleteyou really have superb description skills
ReplyDelete